Monday, April 23, 2012

6:1

6:1

That was the adult to Reagan ratio when her four grandparents, her Aunt Deni, & I took her for a quick dinner & then to play in the park two weeks ago.  Yes, it's been two weeks & I'm just now blogging it.  I sat down to upload pics & blog about the whirlwind trip to New Orleans & Baton Rouge Trey & I took this past weekend, & realized I was backlogged.  While Reagan happily works on the couch at her desk, answering calls & making important notes on her etch-a-sketch, I want to share some pictures of her heavily supervised play day in the park.





Heading out after dinner with Aunt Deni:


Despite all the equipment, she preferred to just run in the grass:


Aunt Deni trying to persuade her:


On the move again:


A brief rest for her legs in the swing:


Half the supervision group overseeing her efforts on this see-saw contraption:



Aunt Deni, ever the encourager: 


Papa enjoying his iced tea while Reagan sneaks by him:


Taking a breather:


Back to the see-saw contraption:


Aunt Deni & Reagan on the slide:


Supervising the transition to a new surface:


Surrounded by supervisors, she realized there was nowhere to turn, nowhere to run free:




Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.



-C.S. Lewis


To the best of my recollection, the last two movies Trey & I saw in the theater together were Toy Story 3 and Beauty and the Beast, rereleased in 3D.  There are never any movies with real people in them that we both want to see, but in animation, we find common ground.  Reagan, I hope you never blush at the suspicion of being childish, & may you always be surrounded by a throng of relatives who keep you young, inside & out.


AZ

No comments:

Post a Comment